Our Essex 2020 season
Essex 2020: A Year of Science and Creativity
Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society (CSES) celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2020. To mark the occasion the Society, in partnership with Anglia Ruskin University, bid to host the British Science Festival. We were successful in bringing this international festival to Essex for the first time its 189-year history.
We are therefore very pleased to announce our programme of special Essex 2020 events. Read on or see our events pages to find out what we've got planned.
A series of talks by high-profile speakers, whom we are privileged to welcome to Chelmsford, to mark the cenentary of CSES.
- Tuesday 31 March: Marconi and the Invisible Universe by Danielle George
- Friday 22 May: Two Wireless Ages – From Marconi's Wireless Telegraphy to the Internet of Things by Elizabeth Bruton
- Wednesday 10 June: Dame Nellie sings! A night that changed the world by Tim Wander
- Autumn/Winter: Leonardo keynote address TBC
- Autumn/Winter: Teledyne e2v keynote address TBC
We hope to introduce a regular annual high-profile keynote lecture slot in future years.
A series of events that showcase technology, innovations and the future of STEM in Essex by telling the story of our industrial heritage from (over) 100 years ago to now.
- Sunday 7 June: Open day at Hylands House (with Leonardo and Chelmsford Civic Society)
- June/July (TBC): Marconi Gala at Teledyne e2v (with Chelmsford Festival)
- October (TBC): The CSES story – a birthday soirée and exhibition
If you're thinking of a career in STEM or are interested in volunteering, these are a good opportunity!
My Smarter Essex
We will be holding a series of My Smarter Essex conferences throughout 2020, in partnership with Essex County Council and Anglia Ruskin University.
- April (TBC): Healthy Ageing and Independent Living (for senior stakeholders)
- June (TBC): Urban Development and Innovation (for senior stakeholders)
- September (TBC): Game-Changing 21st Century Technologies (for students)
- October (TBC): The Essex of the Future
Imagine! STEM Club
Following a successful 2019 pilot, our STEM club is back with an expanded programme.
- Tuesday 7 April (TBC): Controlling Electricity and Introduction to Micro-Bit
- Thursday 16 April (TBC): Basic Machines and Bridges
- Wednesday 27 May (TBC): Our Neuromuscular System (a session from ARU medical students)
- Monday 27 July – Wed 29 July (TBC): I Need a Holiday! (return from last year)
- February – June: Long-term projects
See the Imagine! STEM Club pages for session details (will be added once dates confirmed) and booking instructions.
This year's competition will be on Friday 26 June. For Essex 2020, we will be adding a new element into the judging which will focus on concept and design.
See the Schools' Competition pages for full details.
A new project for Essex 2020. Students will work to create a multimedia, theatrical performance based on local historical figures and people's memories of our industrial heritage. Details to be confirmed: watch this space!
We will be taking part in PhysicsFest as usual: watch this space for further details.
Find out more
Our events pages (will) have all the details of the above events and our usual programme.
Please keep an eye on the website and, if you are a member, look out for updates by email.
If you're not yet a member, now is the time to sign up!
We look forward to seeing you at one of our events and celebrating this special year.