Ideas for school and home
Here you will find ideas for and information about activities in which students can get involved, both in and out of school. This is aimed at students, teachers, parents/carers and careers advisors alike.
- STEM clubs and projects
- Events and exhibitions
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Placements and work experience
- STE(A)M resources
- Trips and tours
Set up a Young Engineers Club at your school.
This is an organisation which supports schools in encouraging students to get involved with engineering. Their website contains lots of ideas for STEM activities and competitions and support includes bursaries for clubs.
Set up a STEM Club at your school or join the CSES Imagine! STEM Club (out of school).
You could take part in a STEM Challenge or any of the other activities listed on this page. Funding for STEM Clubs is available from CSES via the STEM Club Bursary.
Run an engineering scheme in your school such as:
Do a project at home or school leading to a CREST award.
Find details of upcoming CSES events for schools and families here.
Invite external providers in to run STEM events at your school such as:
Encourage your students to take part in STEM competitions such as:
- Our annual Schools' Engineering and Technology Competition (years 5-13)
- First Lego League (ages 4-16)
- Selex ES Rampaging Chariots
- The Big Bang science and engineering fair (all ages)
- Greenpower electric car racing (ages 9-25)
- Formula Schools (Key Stage 3-4)
Promote and support your students in applying for residential engineering courses such as:
- Promote the Arkwright Scholarship to your year 11 DT students.
- Apply to the Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society STEM Club Bursary
Promote and support your students in applying for engineering placements such as:
If you're looking for things to do at home, or projects to run at school, the following resources and organisations may help you:
- STEM Learning
- STEM Home Learning Resources (STEM@Home)
- Marvin and Milo from the Institute of Physics (IOP)
- BBC Microbit
- IET teachers' resources
- IET Faraday Primary
- IET Faraday Secondary
- Royal Institution
- The British Science Association
We are also pleased to be able to publish a selection of our Imagine! Masterclasses as self-guided tutorial and activity packs: see the attachments at the end of this article.
Also, check out our STEM Links section for organisations who can help further.
Run trips to places such as:
- The National Space Centre
- The Science Museum
- Local engineering companies
- The annual national Big Bang Fair
- University events